The Indian terrain is dotted with beautiful beaches, marvellous mountains and pristine palaces. These gorgeous destinations are spread across the length and breadth of the country. If you are about to finalise a place for your much awaited honeymoon, then why not go for a hidden territory in the country, instead of flying abroad. While Goa, Udaipur and Shimla are frequented by honeymooners, there are many offbeat locations which you can choose for spending quality time with your special someone.
Here is a guide, so that you can make the perfect choice and pick the best destination for your honeymoon in India:
- Lachung: Labelled as “the most picturesque village of Sikkim” by renowned explorerJoseph Dalton Hooker, this hill station is surely the perfect destination for your honeymoon if you and your fiancé are mountain lovers. The snowcapped mountains coupled with enchantingwaterfalls and apple orchards provide the right dose of treat to the eyes. And a walk by the bank of Lachung river which flawlessly flows across the village just proves to be another reminder of the mesmerising effect of the scenery. When in Lachung, do not miss Yumthang Valley, the Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary and Yumesamdong which are only a couple of hours away. If you are an adventure junkie, skiing and trekking can be your poison.
- Udupi: Coastal Karnataka is home to many virgin beaches. The pleasure of sitting and staring at the calm waters without being disturbed by human folk is unbelievably amazing. Well, in Udupi you will surely experience such calmness and appreciate the serenity of nature. Besides the sandy beaches, the city also has aseries of waterfalls like Kudlu falls, Belkal Theertha falls and Kudumari falls. If you are in a mood to start your marital journey by visiting temples, then head towards the popular Krishna temple which sees many tourists from across the country.The sun-kissed beaches and the stunning waterfalls are the perfect ingredients to make your honeymoon special in this unusual destination.
- Bhimtal: Probably one of the most underrated hill stations of North India, this destination truly describes the idiom “nature at its best”. What makes it stand apart is the fact that it is not frequented by many tourists, unlike its adjacent, more popular holiday hub Nainital. Hence, enveloped between lakes and the Himalayas, Bhimtal presents picture perfect visuals and you can simply spend hours enjoying the pleasant weather and have a good romantic time amidst the glorious mountains. Also, a visit toBhimeshwar Mahadev Temple is highly recommended.
- Kaziranga National Park: No wildlife enthusiast should miss an opportunity to visit this part of Northeast India. Maybe, honeymoon can be the perfect period to greet the one-horned rhinoceros, isn’t it? Elephants, tigers, buffalos and deers wander around in the park and multiple rivers intermingle in the vicinity creating a natural jigsaw. The tea plantations located nearby can also be visited. However, the national park remains closed from May to October-end. Even Prince William and Kate Middleton couldn’t resist visiting Kaziranga! Need I say more? Go have a wild honeymoon!
- Orcha: Situated in Madhya Pradesh, this town is replete with palaces, forts and temples. It is truly a royal destination and the Jahangir Mahal is the prime attraction here. As very few people know about Orcha, it is a peaceful spot. The Betwa river on the bank of which the unexplored town is located enhances its beauty manifold.Surprise your partner with this unique choice for your honeymoon!
- Kodaikanal: Although the quaint town looks gorgeous throughout the year, if you are planning your honeymoon between October-March, then this is one of the best options. The perennially pleasant climate, natural splendour and gushing waterfalls make this destination a couple’s perfect abode. Enjoy the breathtaking beauty and explore the multiple lakes, pine forests and waterfalls that are spread across this hill station.
- Jagdalpur:This place rarely finds mention in the tourism map of India. An interesting mix of caves, waterfalls, national parks, museums and temples – the destination cannot disappoint any couple. Chitrakot waterfall, Kanger Valley National Park and Ganga Munda lake are among the highlights of this location. Go explore this hidden gem of Chattisgarh with your partner!
- Pondicherry:If you are a couple totally in love with beaches, then you should seriously consider Pondicherry as your honeymoon destination. You get a chance to experience the French culture, taste mouthwatering cookies and pastries in the splendid bakeries and lazy around in the sea. From Promenade Beach to Auro beach and an array of others – you are literally spoilt for choice here! And is there anything more romantic than making love by the sea?
- Shillong:Known as “Scotland of the East”, Shillong is any nature lover’s dream destination. While Umium lake, Elephant falls and Ward’s lake are the prime attractions in this hill town, Cherrapunjee, Mawsynram (the world’s wettest places), Mawlynnong (Asia’s cleanest village) and Dawki are also few kilometres away. Undoubtedly, one can simply take first hand experience of dancing clouds and lush green environs, here. Make the honeymoon a joyful experience by visiting Shillong if both of you adore nature!
- Gulmarg:No hype, no words and no expressions can ever justify the beauty of this destination. It is not just the sea of snow which pleases couples here. The poetic atmosphere of the town and the skiing sessions just blend perfectly to create a wholesome experience during the honeymoon period.
Photo courtesy: Live Mint